Housing & Communities Planning for the Future Death & Estates Health Older Adults Consumer Protection Non-Profit Organizations & Charities Debts & Credit Government Agencies Courts & Legal Systems Crimes & Fines Victims Resources for Teachers Legal Information for Newcomers Family Law Saskatchewan Workplace Sexual Harassment (SHIFT) About PLEA Contact Us Search

Applying for Support

You can apply for income support online. Step-by-step instructions are available. You can also apply by phone by calling 1.866.221.5200. Your nearest Social Services office can provide access to a computer or telephone and assistance if needed.

In deciding if someone is your spouse Social Services considers things like your living arrangements, whether you share things like bank accounts or a phone number, and the relationship each of you have with any children living with you.

If you have a spouse or partner they must apply with you. Under the SIS program, a partner or spouse means someone you are married to or have lived with as a couple for three months or more. It also includes a spouse or partner that is the other parent of your child.

Your application will authorize Social Services to check any information you provide and share that information with other government ministries, when required. You have the right to have your information handled with confidentiality.

You can apply before you are totally out of money. You can have as much as $1500 on hand per person in the household when you apply for assistance. You can also have personal belongings (furniture, jewellery, electronics) and one vehicle per household.

If you are a Status Indian living on a reserve you must apply to your band office for assistance. Some individuals, such as full-time post-secondary students and individuals who are in jail, are not eligible for SIS benefits.

You must be living in the area where you apply. A person or family just passing through the area may be able to receive emergency assistance or health services for a maximum of four days

Be Prepared

It is important to gather everything you need to complete your application for SIS benefits.


You must provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and your Saskatchewan Health Services Number (HSN). If you have a spouse/partner they must also provide these numbers. The Saskatchewan Health Services numbers of any dependent children must also be provided.

If you don’t have a SIN/HSN you will need to confirm that you have applied to get them. Benefits under the program won’t be issued without this confirmation. In any event, your SIN/HSN must be provided with 30 days of your application.

If you are unable to provide these documents within this timeframe contact Social Services for more information.


You will need to provide information about your income. Income includes all money that you and your spouse or partner have received in the 30 days before your application. This includes earned income, benefit payments, pension income, support payments, loans, inheritances, and cash gifts or donations. You must provide documents to verify your income, such as...

  • pay stubs for current and previous month
  • pension, employment insurance, workers’ compensation and child benefit statements
  • record of employment (if you quit or were laid off from a job)
  • self-employment income records and expenses
  • support orders or agreements (if you have a child and are not receiving child support, you will be expected to try to get a child support order or enforce an existing order. The Maintenance Enforcement Office can enforce a support order or agreement. Information about this service is available by calling 306-787-8961.


Unless exempted, the net value of any assets owned by you or your spouse or partner is considered as available income. You must provide documents for any property you own and money that you have on hand including...

  • mortgage and house title documents
  • vehicle registration(s)
  • current bank statements for all accounts
  • receipts for a pre-paid funeral
  • certificates for any investments such as RRSP’s, bonds or annuities

Exempt Assets

Each person in the household can also have $1,500 on hand at the time of your application. Money that comes in after your application is submitted must be included as income when it is received.

Your primary residence is an exempt asset. This includes the home and the land or the home quarter, if the home is a farm residence. All other real property is non-exempt.

Personal items and one vehicle per household are also generally exempt. If you or your spouse or partner owns a second vehicle that has an equity value over $5,000, you must convert it to cash within 180 days of your application.

You will generally have 180 days from the date of your application to dispose of any non-exempt assets. The fair market value of the assets and the equity you have will be considered for the purposes of determining eligibility.

Housing Information

If you are renting a place to live or are sharing accommodation bring a copy of your rental agreement. If one is not available, make sure to have a current receipt for rent. Homeowners will need to provide a copy of the title to the property. If a copy of the title is not available, make sure to have a copy of the current house insurance policy and a property tax notice in your name.


Once your application is received and you have provided all required documents, your application for assistance will be approved or denied within 15 days. If your application is approved, you will be notified about the amount of your benefits and how the amounts were determined. You will also be told what is needed to remain eligible for benefits. Information about how to appeal a decision will also be provided.

If your application for benefits is denied, the decision will be explained and you will be provided with information about your right of appeal.

How helpful was this article?

PLEA offers free online training on preventing and addressing workplace harassment.

Workplace Harassment Prevention Training

CHECK IT OUT We're here to help.

Housing & Communities

Planning for the Future

Death & Estates


Older Adults

Consumer Protection

Non-Profit Organizations & Charities

Debts & Credit

Courts & Legal System

Government Agencies

Crimes & Fines


About PLEA

PLEA gratefully acknowledges our primary core funder the Law Foundation of Saskatchewan for their continuing and generous support of our organization.